Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Working In Retail During The Holidays



The Holiday! The most wonderful time of the year, unless you work doing retail.
Last year around this time I used to work at Macy's and oh lord I can tell you so many stories.I'm going to tell you a little bit of what my job was so you have a better idea. Everyday I had to fix, fold and pick the merchandise from the floor, I also had to help any customer with everything they needed, I had to answer calls, let the office know if someone was trying to steal merchandise, sometimes even help people take things to their cars and on top of that I also had to help any do the register as well since we had so many customers during the holiday. Yes, I did all that while I was pregnant. But I'm just going to share the reasons why working in retail during the holidays is a nightmare because if I share all my stories about working in retail I would probably never finish talking.

Reasons why:
  • People tend to be really rude and mean towards the people working at the store.
  • Customers think you are some kind of robot and get mad when things don't go as planned ( like when they want to use a coupon but it's not valid for that purchase)
  • The registers always stop working right when you need to help a customer.
  • Customers love to fight about the price to try to make you give them a discount.
  • If something bad happens and it's not even your fault the customer will blame it on you and call the manager.
  • People get mad just because they have to wait.
  • Your co- workers always call off and you have to stay longer.
  • People will make a mess right in front on you while you are fixing the merchandise, making you start over again.
  • The play the same songs all day to the point that you just can't do it anymore.
  • Most of the times my store would be open until 11 pm or 12 am and no one can leave until all the customers are out of the store and sometimes we would stay until 1:30 am.
  • They used to make me work even on my days off.

I can probably list a lot more but I think these are my main reasons.

Have you ever worked in a store during holidays? 

No comments:

Post a Comment